Thursday, February 26, 2009

Twitter Tacos

I think I am starting to get this stuff. Immersion helps. This week the web and marketing folks took time away from the office to get together and play with the tools. One of the whiz kids in the web group helped me install twitterberry on the blackberry....I signed on to abc news and followed Terry Moran's tweets all through the president's speech. Way cool. I still need to spend more time on this...but it's getting more familiar each day.

Later that same day a few of us attended the Austin AMA session on social media. It was packed. I had to leave early to catch Rachel's soccer game (only a few more months to be a soccer mom!)...but the first speaker was great. Her name was Erica O'Grady (ericaogrady.com) and she was great....now following her on Twitter. She called herself Twitter coach and she had some great insight into all this stuff.

A couple of observations...accelerating serendipity...embrace the chaos....it's just technology.

She talked about how companies are using twitter to get things done...used the example of a company called freshbooks. They picked up on a tweet of one of their customers who had been stood up on a blind date and sent her a message that they would never stand her up. Then the next day, they sent her flowers. Wow. That gal will be a customer for life!

Other comments: social media marketing is word of mouth or community based marketing that is based on conversation...as we know the best marketing of all. Don't think about money. Relationships matter. People matter. Don't throw money at it. (This is good since we don't have any!)

The new influence model:
Change your mind....
Dialogue
Admire
Engage

Build relationships
One to many
Product or service that delights your followers.

(We can do this...... we have everything we need to do this.)

I need to check out tynt.com a tool to track blogs
Mr Tweet.net...tells you who to follow....

And then on the way to the game I listened to an NPR story about a korean taco truck in LA using twitter. The truck would tweet a location, and 200 people would show up to chow down on korean pork tacos and kimchee quesadillas. Wow.

(Kimchee quesadillas???? Ugh....)

3 comments:

  1. Lydia, Glad to see you've joined the fray. I can recommend several books (if not loan them) if you're interested. I heard the same NPR story the other day about the Korean Tacos, but I actually like kimchee, so it sounded intriguing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know what boks you have.....I just bought a bunch for the TPWD marketing library.... (books. How old fashioned!)

    ReplyDelete